Frequently asked questions
1. What is Alliance Water's objective?
- Share resources and technology to extend current supplies
- Manage future need by supplementing the current supplies of Alliance Water Participants with groundwater from the Carrizo-Wilcox aquifer
- Achieve economies of scale and own water facilities instead of being someone's customers
2. Who are the Alliance Water participants?
- The cities of Buda, Kyle, and San Marcos and the Canyon Regional Water Authority
3. What is a Regional Water Authority?
- A political subdivision created by the Texas Legislature
- May develop water supply, transport water, and/or develop wastewater treatment facilities
- Subject to Open Meetings Act and Public Information Act
4. Why the Carrizo-Wilcox Aquifer?
- Availability of sustainable quantities
- Reliable - not subject to major fluctuations in drought
- Proximity - closest source in sufficient quantity
- Good water quality - extensive treatment is not required
- Mutual benefit - water sales will benefit local farmers over Carrizo without impact local supplies or wildlife
5. What is Alliance Water's timing?
- Share existing supplies among members as long as possible, at least until 2018, possibly into early 2020s
- Develop a 10-MGD project by 2018
- Develop an additional 20-MGD supply by 2032
6. What are the steps in the process?
- Alliance Water (formerly the HCPUA) agreement ratified among participants in 2007, and plan developed
- Water leases negotiated with landowners over Carrizo-Wilcox on "willing buyer, willing seller" basis, then permitted through local groundwater district, with large-scale permits approved in late 2012
- Additional leases may be negotiated/permitted later, if needed
- Participants implement water sharing agreement in 2013 to postpone the need for pipeline construction and water importation
- Construct well field
- Construct approximately 45-mile pipeline with a treatment facility and two booster pump stations
HaVE A QUESTION?
If you have a question about the agency not answered in the FAQs above, we're happy to answer it. Please fill out the form below and someone will get back to you.